Sunday, December 4, 2011

I disagree.

So, I had an interesting conversation the other day at work with a colleague - who firmly believes the following:
  1. Marriage is forced onto the masses by society.
  2. It is a proven 'fact' that human beings instinctively want to be with many partners throughout their lifetime.
  3. Choosing to be in an monogamist relationship goes against our nature.
  4. The only reason women get married is to have children.
  5. Love is fleeting and always fades.
Just kill me know then. Really, if that's the case, fucking shoot me.

What a truly awful thought.

I suppose you can screw around for the rest of your life, but I mean, wouldn't that get, well....boring eventually? Don't human begins need some kind of connection - something more then sex? Don't we need intimacy? Sex can be intimate - but sex doesn't necessarily equal intimacy. So, what do we need? I'm not saying that it isn't in our nature to screw around. Of course we want to screw around - and we do. We are sexual creatures, and we must express ourselves as such.. But does that mean we cannot be satisfied with one person? When we are with someone, our eyes can wander, yes - but that doesn't mean that we toss aside our present significant other and run with our knuckles dragging toward our new prize, ready to knock them unconscious and drag them back to our dimly lit cave....

We do love. And we love hard. Thinking of the alternative is just too terrible. I refuse to live in a world where love with the opposite sex (or the same sex for that matter) doesn't really exist. Well, let me put it this way...I refuse to live in a world where there is a general consensus that this kind of love is a fantasy.

I was just so angry hearing this from someone. I took it so personally. I felt like this person was telling me what my life was going to be - it was like being five years old and hearing that there was no such thing as Santa.

I am annoyingly optimistic when it comes to love. I have never thought of marriage as 'settling down'. I always thought it was a time to get crazy. You've found the person you want to spend your life with - now is the time for adventure, mistakes, and impulses. Now is the time to have sex in elevators or to run naked through Millennium Park. I don't believe those experiences are limited to a certain time in your life...why can't they can be for anytime - and always?

No comments:

Post a Comment