A couple months ago, I made a goal for myself that I would write a blog post every week...
Ha.
I thought making a list of goals was a great idea - I was making an effort to be proactive and to take control of my "new" life in New York. Well - months have gone by, and I just feel too tired to do anything. Although, my life has progressed, for sure. I have said goodbye (and good riddance) to the hospitality/hotel business forever - YES! - and have landed the first job to ever make me feel like an adult. I work as an admin in a quiet office and I get to sit and wear my own clothes! I can work at my own pace and I don't have to ask someone to cover me if I need to use the restroom. I get to work with dear friends I have known for years, and of course, I've received a massive pay raise. For the first time in my life, I can start to pay off my student loans and even put some money away for savings. I can start planning a secure future. And for that fact, I feel very thankful - I know I am lucky.
And the best part - I no longer have an insane work schedule. I work normal business hours! I can have a life! Yes - this is a great thing. It also means I can go on auditions - but the problem is - I have no desire to go on auditions. I don't really have a desire to act....right now....at all.
Last week I was on the train going to work - and I over heard two girls talking to each other - one was on her way to an audition for 'A Chorus Line', and the other (also an actress) was on her way to one of her three part-time jobs. The more I listened to them talk about their difficult lifestyles, their careers and what "type" they think they are or what roles they 'totally' deserve - I felt an overwhelming sense of relief, and I thought,"Thank god I'm not going to an audition".
I've been making excuses for a long time about not acting. But, I think I couldn't accept how uninterested I was in it all - and how ashamed I felt about not having the desire to do it. Being an actor is really all I know. I made a choice to commit to that life a long time ago - and of course, I didn't bother to develop any other skills in the meantime. I thought acting made me special (which is ironic considering there are so many actors in the world). A life in the theatre feels so far away.
So, what do I do? What am I now?
I have been dreading writing a blog post for a long time - feeling like I can't even wrap my head around my feelings of confusion. But - I need to try and make sense of this to some degree - I'm going mad.
It's so strange to not have a desire to do what I once loved. It feels empty. Confusing. But mostly very lonely.
I don't have a next step. I can't seem to decide on one. All I do is work and eat away the stress. I've gained weight - again. My confidence is waining. I keep having intense dreams that border on nightmarish. I have night sweats - and I'm exhausted all the time. I can't seem to gage my body let alone control it. I am working very hard not to distract myself with food or shopping, which is all I want to bury myself in these days.
So, I guess I will leave it at this - here I am, and I'm not sure what to do next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Breath in and out. Enjoy the the sound of just being. Whats wrong with just being in the moment you are in? So much pressure we put on ourselves worrying about tomorrow, making up for the past. These are the best years of your life, but you might not realize it until you are the other side of a milestone birth day. If the desire to act is not there, then don't act. Breath in and out, sometimes that's enough to get you through this moment.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting a more stable career for your lifestyle! I am still trying to find the balance between auditions and teaching. After moving to NYC to pursue acting, I too, ended up losing my way in the pursuit. Maybe you aren't ready to act now, but at least you are in an incredible city that is full of amazing opportunities, whenever you are ready to look for them.
ReplyDeleteMuch Love,
Melanie♥
www.athistage.blogspot.com